Warmachine / Hordes has been gaining traction in our area for quite a while now. A little over a year I tried my hand at a War Hog and was pleased with the results. I was happy with how the model painted up, but from what I had learned from talking to people and reading on the internet, the faction was just not up to snuff.
For this go round I decided to try painting up a Trollbloods Dire Troll Mauler. I wanted to see if I could paint the skin with an airbrush and then fill in the detail on the rest of the model. Since the model is about 80% skin I figured if I could get good results with the airbrush the model would end up looking pretty good.
To start off with I primed the model white. I then applied a layer of black with the airbrush from underneath the model for a nice zenithal prime. Next I sprayed the model with Citadel Caledon Blue and started working up the highlights going through Teclis Blue, P3 Arcane Blue, and finishing up with an 80/20 mix of Arcane Blue and White. This gave me a nice smooth paint job on the skin that had some nice highlighting.
Next I started on the stone protrusions. I basecoated them Citadel Rhinox Hide and then glazed up using Red Gore and then Blood Red. I used the same colors on the hair but used a progressive over-brush method instead of a glaze.
For the metal I used a base of Rhinox Hide, and then used a 50/50 mix of Rhinox Hide and Warplock Bronze. I highlighted this with Vallejo Brass and added a few touches of Leadbelcher to break up the metal.
The leather was actually pretty fun to paint. I started out again with Rhinox Hide. I then painted it with a 50/50 mix of Rhinox Hide and P3 Gun Corps Brown. I then highlighted using Gun Corps Brown and a final highlight of Gun Corps Brown and Skull White. I used this same method on the claws and teeth but ended with a much lighter shade of white on the teeth and claws.
The base was quick and easy. Base coated it Rhinox Hide and then drybrushed on Gun Corps Brown, P3 Hammerfall Khaki, washed it with Agrax Earthshade, and then drybrushed it Hammerfall Khaki with a final layer of P3 Trollblood Highlight. A touch of static grass after sealing and the modle was done.
I was really happy with how this model turned out. I am already working on my second Dire Troll – this one will be a Blitzer. I love the idea of a crazed, bomb toting, monster of a troll running amok on the battlefield.