Here is the best rules summary for the new edition of Warhammer 40k that I have found so far -
- Turn system is the same
- New deep strike mishap only kills you on a 1
- No consolidating into new enemies.
- All the fortifications are already GW terrain models. The Aegis defense line is 50pts. Bastion is 75. Fortress of Redemption is 220. Skyshield Landing pad is the final. You get 1 fortification, and upgrades are along the lines of extra guns, or Comms Relay for 20 oints that rerolls reserves. (Skyshield comes with this)
- Still roll for your turn and seize initiative
- Night Fight mean you cant shoot over 36″. Over 24″ away has shrouded (+2 cover save), over 12 away has stealth. Night fight is in play for all the missions. It is only in effect on a 4+ however, and you roll for it to go away every turn on a 4+
- No change to weapons skill or to wound charts
- You can always measure
- Can regroup as long as you are above 25%, and independent characters mean you can any time
- Jump infantry move 12, re roll charge dice (2D6) get a impact hits (called hammer of wrath).
- Bikes turbo boost in shooting phase 12 (jet bikes 24, eldar jetbikes 36 for a total of * 48inch move in 1 turn).
- Cavalry and Beasts move 12 and are fleet. Cav aren’t slowed by terrain but counts as dangerous. Beasts ignore terrain altogether!
- Mysterious terrain: you become so comfortable you get FnP, but must make a leadership test to leave.
- Mysterious terrain: Ice that freezes your armor and gives you a +1 save
- Wound allocation is closest to furthest simple as that. Doesn’t matter what gear they have. So put you important stuff at the back! With multi wounds you have to kill a model before it goes back any further. With different armor saves in units you have to kill the closest first before you start hitting the back models. Independant chars get a lookout sir 2+ so you can still have them at the front.
- If you cant see a model or are out of range you cant kill it no matter how many wounds you do on the unit.
- Cover save is generally 5+, ruins is 4+, most everything else is 5+ including shooting thought troops. but you only need to have 25% hidden or troops or tanks to get cover.
- Anything can shoot air, but only with snapshots (6+). Some weapons are AA and hit normally.
- Runs do disallow assaults. Fleet doesn’t overcome this but lets you reroll your charge.
- Snipers can allocate the wound on a hit of a 6
- Infantry with heavy weapons can move and snapfire
- Charges are 2D6, and you can overwatch against it which is every model gets to shoot at BS1 except heavy weapons. Template weapons do D3 auto hits at S and AP of the weapon. Blast can’t snapshot so no over-watch shots. Because of wound allocation, overwatch also pulls from the front before they reach you.
- Overwatch activates before the assaulting unit rolls for range, but after they declare
- You can’t run and charge even with fleet.
- No assault after Rapid Firing
- Assaulting through cover: roll an extra dice and take away the highest. Then you are I 1 unless you have assault grenades then its normal I order.
- Models pile in I order instead of all at the start.
- All units can choose to fail their leadership to run away from a unit they can’t hurt, unless fearless
- Power swords are AP 3. Axes +1 S, AP2 and make you I 1.
- Any power weapons unspecified you must look at the model and see what they have for what kind of power weapon they have.
- Powerfists and power axes are both unwieldy (strike at I 1).
- Witchblades are 2+ wounds 2D6 armor pen, but not S9
- Anything that counts as a power weapon get AP 3 and the rest of its special rules. * Power claws are powerfists. Big choppas are not mentioned. The only odd weapon with an AP is a ”heavy chainsword” with AP 5
- “Force weapon” is a modifier, not a type, so a Force Sword is AP3 with the force weapon rule
- Lances (the CC weapon) are S normal AP4, but +1 S and AP3 on the charge
- 1 model per unit can throw a grenade instead of shooting normally. All are blast except krak and haywire. Frag are S3 AP -, plasma are S4 AP4, Krak S6 AP4.
- Mauls are +2 S and AP4 (ie Crozius)
- Icarus Lascannon 92″ S9 AP2 Heavy 1, Interceptor (can shoot reserves) Skyfire (uses full BS against zooming flyers)
- Blast weapons seem to use full strength against vehicles even with partial coverage
- You can usually shoot all weapons as long as you don’t go flat out, but its a snap shot so only hits on a 6+
- Two new vehicle types: chariots. look like they work like the necron command barge. and heavy, works like the monolith.
- All skimmers get a 5+ “jink” if them move, same with jetbikes
- Walkers still move 6″ and get Hammer of Wrath, a single auto hit attack at base S and AP-
- Fast skimmers can flat-out 18″ in the movement phase, then turboboost in the shooting phase. Fast skimmers can go 30″ in one turn
- Vehicles that move are WS1, those that don’t are WS0
- Squadron rules are the same, and use the proximity wound allocation
- Flyers move 18″ at combat speed and 36″ at cruising while zooming. If they are forced to move less than 18″ they are automatically wrecked.
- All things on flying bases are flyers
- You may choose to evade if you are zooming (as opposed to hovering) works like going to ground and gives you jink but can only shoot snap shots next turn.
- While zooming, flyers can only make a single 90 degree pivot, and then move straight. * They also do not take terrain tests, and move over models.
- Zooming flyers cannot embark or disembark troops, ram, tank shock, or be rammed
- Flyers must start in reserve
- Zooming fliers that die drop a S 6 large template of debris that hits the table
- If flyers die with troops inside while zooming every model take a S10 AP1 hit
- Zooming flyers can fire up to 4 weapons at full ballistic skill while moving at cruising speed
- A flyer that moves off the board enters “ongoing reserves”
- If it suffers an immobilized result while zooming, it suffers “Locked Velocity”. It can’t evade, go flat out, and must remain at the speed it was using when hit.
Vehicle and damage
- Hull points are taken off by glancing hits but no roll on the table. All gone = wreck.
- Pens roll on the table and take a hull point. 1-2 shaken, 3 stunned, 4 weapon gone, 5 immobilised, 6 explodes.
- Most vehicles have 3. land raider have 4, vipers have 2, battle wagon thats 4, buggies are 2, defilers and soul grinders have 4, Venom-Raider-Ravager-Jets all have 3,
- Hitting a vehicle that moved is a 3+, but you can’t attack zooming flyers
Vehicle and Passenger
- You may not disembark at all if the vehicle moved more than 6″. You are allowed to move up to 6″ after you disembark though.
- You can shoot from a vehicle that has moved 6″ normally, snapshot at cruising, and no shooting at flatout
- Normal explosions are the same.
- No 2″ deploy, just a 6″ move, even if the vehicle has moved up to 6″
- No longer get 2D6 armor pen
- Get smash: AP2 and half attacks to double strength and reroll Armour pen results.
- Can be “shot down” during a Vector Strike. Getting shot down is 1 or more hits from a units shooting, and then rolling a 1or2 on a D6.
- Get Hammer of Wrath (the impact hit)
- A new psychic power that lets you overwatch with full BS as well.
- Mastery levels are in
- Divination: roll 3 dice for reserves, outflank and terrain and choose
- Divination: make an opponent reroll all Armour saves for a game turn!
- Divination: make a units shooting ignor cover.
- Telepathy: make a single model shoot its own army.
- Telepathy: make a unit hallucinate making it either pinned, cant do anything or hits its self.
- Telepathy: give a units +3 stealth save, can be counter attacked, and CC opponents are WS1
- Psychic hoods are limited to range 6
- Generating Discipline spells is a roll like in Fantasy (but you reroll a double instead of choosing)
- A power’s Warp Charge is how many spells you can cast. So a Warp level two requires mastery level two and counts as casting two normal powers
- Sergeants count as characters.
- On a hit of a 6, characters can allocate the wound.
- Challenges: chars just get to fight each other one on one.
- Can get around the proximity wound allocation using “Look out, Sir!” to make someone else take it
- Preferred enemy is reroll all hits and wounds that roll a 1, from shooting and combat. *Fleet lets you re roll all run and change moves.
- FnP is now 5+. You get FnP against anything that doesn’t cause instant death
- Acute senses is rerolling outflank
- Rage is +2 on the charge
- Fearless works the same, except the “No retreat” rule couldn’t be found (may or may not exist)
- Beasts and cavalry can move 12, then assault 2D6 with a reroll.
- Soul blaze is basically a unit stays on fire and takes extra hits next turn.
- Specialist weapon is you don’t get a bonus for extra close combat weapons with it. like powerfirst now.
- Move through cover ignores dangerous terrain, but doesn’t affect assaults
- Night Vision ignores Night Fighting
- Furious charge no longer gives +1 initiative
- Codex updates will be separate, probably WD or FAQs
- Daemonic Fear is a LD test or become WS1. Fearless units and know no fear and immune to it.
- Storm ravens are listen under the vanilla space marine section too apparently.
- Normal one D3 +2 objectives.
- One where heavy support can claim objectives and you get extra points for killing heavy support. Same but with fast attack.
- A kill point one.
- One where there is a relic you take and move with that’s basically an objective. And a capture and control-ish one.
- Awesome Summary of Changes to Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition Just saw this really awesome summary of all the changes that have been made in the move to the new edition of Warhammer Fantasy. The...
- Rules For Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Are Starting To Pop Up We are starting to get bits and pieces of the new rules for Warhammer 40k. 6th edition is looking like it is going to...
- Possible Warhammer 40k 6th Edition Rulebook Leak Looks like the cat might be out of the bag. Earlier this evening a pdf started circulating that is supposedly the new edition of Warhammer...
- Updated Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition Rumors It looks like the 8th Edition Warhammer Fantasy rumors have continued to trickle in. Warseer has a sticky post that they are keeping up to...
- Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition – What’s It To Me? We are starting to see more and more concrete rumors concerning Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition. Over at Dakka there is a really good post that...