With the success I had with my Dire Troll I decided to try my hand at a Warjack. After looking around the gallery at the Privateer Press site I decided that I would try airbrushing a Retribution of Scyrah model. I ordered the Hydra/Manticore/Phoenix kit and started thinking about my paint scheme.
I knew I wanted a nice bright color scheme, but I couldn’t decide what the base color should be. I am already doing blue on my Trollbloods so I didn’t want that, yellow is just too much of a pain, I have some white/bone Chaos Space Marines, and I just didn’t want to do red – too much like Khador. This left me with green. I started planning out a progression of greens that I was going to use and then I saw these models over at Dakka. I was hooked – this is the color scheme I was going to use.
I quickly ran into a problem. The guy who painted these used Vallejo Flou colors – the Flou is for fluorescent! – and you just can’t get them in the US. I looked and looked and couldn’t find anywhere local or online that carried them. All I could find were a few of the Game Colors that had Flou in their name but that isn’t what I wanted. I eventually found a shop in the US but they only carried the Green, Blue, and Red. Bah! I wanted the full line!
After quite a bit of searching I found a shop in the UK that had the full line - http://www.emodels.co.uk/. I placed my order and waited. The model showed up well before the paints so I took my time and carefully put it together. Just kidding, I waited til the paints were here and rushed through it priming the model before the glue was even dry. I was excited! I tested the Fluo colors on a spare Orc and I figured out my progression. I would prime the model using black/grey/white in a zenithal pattern. I would then repeat the process using the Purple, Scarlet, and Rose colors. From there I would fill in some of the undercarriage with black and then paint the circle things green.
The process worked out pretty well. The only problem I had was the circles. I ended up not being happy with them so I tried airbrushing the Green Flou on top of it and it came out a bit muddled. I ended up going back and airbrushing some more Rose on and then touched up the circles with a brush and in the end it worked out ok.
At this point the model is about 85% done. I need to paint the disc piece things at the top of the model and finish the closed fist. After that I will base the model on some kind of temple/marble white scenic base and see what I think. This was just a test model to see if I could use an airbrush for the majority of a model and also to test out the Fluo colors. I feel like I succeeded on both counts – I learned a lot and the model looks interesting.
- Game Science – Dice Wow! Check out this video! As a man of science (I teach physics) I thought this video on differences in gaming dice was awesome! This...
- Game Science Part 2 The dice wizard is back with more information on dice in general and why his are superior to the run of the mill stuff you...